Let’s start with the exemplary Laphroaig, considered one of the most strongly flavored of all scotch whiskies. They say Ileachs take their time making friends but when they do it’s for life; the statement is well related to both the process of acquiring the palate for this pungent whisky (gradual), and renouncing it (impossible). Produced in perhaps the most famous distillery on Islay, Laphroaig has a huge following not only among Friends of Laphroaig (their official club), but also in echelons as high as the Royal Family - Laphroaig is known to be Prince Charles's favorite whisky. At the Expo get acquainted with a range of Laphroaig from the rich, earthly 10 Year Old to the smooth and delicate older expressions. Feel the uniqueness and mark the nuances of Laphroaig. For a more personal experience with the whisky, attend Simon Brooking’s Masterclass where you’ll have a wonderful opportunity to nose, sample, and compare Laphroaig aged in different casks: bourbon and sherry, and with actual sherry. Hurry and sign up for the seminar to test your senses as a Noser!
Over its successful run, the Expo continues to develop quite a following on both attendee and exhibitor fronts. This year again, we are delighted to present brands by Beam Global, diverse in their origins and tastes but invariable in their goodness as recognized by prestigious international tasting competitions. You’ll be offered samples from their Small Batch Bourbon Collection of ultra-premium, limited edition bourbons made for the true connoisseur by the “perfect blending of art and science”. The lovers of smooth, light whisky will appreciate different expressions of Canadian Club from sherry cask to 30 YO special and help settle the debate of whether Canadian Club has the spicy sweetness of bourbon or the smoothness of scotch. Knowledgeable brand ambassadors will always be on hand to arbitrate. By popular demand, Beam Global also presents a Mixology booth providing a great chance to taste the familiar spirits “undercover”.
Scotch lovers and independent bottler appreciators welcome the return of Mackillop’s Choice, a collection of malts from different regions, aged 12 and 38 years of age and bottled exclusively from single cask. We must tell you by secret that we love these “independents.” They allow us to taste expressions from the best known Scottish distilleries, often currently non-existent, and experience the artful selection, maturation and boutique bottling processes through the uniqueness of the final product. Lorne Mackillop, the man behind his eponymous whiskies, selects the casks himself and confesses that only 20% of casks are accepted to form “a whisky that gives very truly of itself.” When stopping at Lorne’s booth for a delectable dram “of his choice” make sure to ask him about how he makes his selections, about his first whisky, about his “boozy” career and his attitude to Scotch at the beginning of it. Be prepared for some unconventional answers.
So many whiskies, so little time! Join Wild Geese Irish Soldiers & Heroes for their super-premium collection of Irish Whiskeys, fairly new to the US market. Remember when Irish whiskey was just Irish whiskey? Nowadays the variation and quality are profound and one could spend an entire Expo night just exploring the gems of the Emerald Isle. Make time to stop by their booth and congratulate the producers of the 'Best Irish Whiskey' ( voted by WSWA, WWA, SIP) and listen to the story of The Wild Geese Irish Soldiers and Heroes.
There are more marvelous whiskies at WoW 2012 than we can write about in this edition of our whisky love letter. Watch out for the next newsletter featuring announcements of brand new launches, exciting new editions, amazing additional features, whisky and food pairing booths, molecular cocktail demonstrations, presentation of the “scientific” tasting glass, live Bushmills Pipe and Drum concert and other nice surprises!
We hope you enjoyed your St. Valentine dram with your honey. We look forward to seeing you in March and treating you with the Expo getaway you deserve!
Additional WoW Sponsored Events !!!
• Wednesday, Feb 22, 6:00pm : Whisk(e)y Dinner at the Cigar Bar & Grill (register.)
(850 Montgomery Street San Francisco, CA.) An establishment synonymous with fine dining, fine whisk(e)y, fine cigars, and not necessarily in that order. Owner/Chef Niel Rideout is an accomplished chef using fresh local ingredients. Guests will enjoy a delectable meal of several courses. The tasting will be guided by whisky experts as we will sample 6 highly rated world whiskies, including Canadian, bourbon, and scotch.
8 Seconds Canadian,
8 Seconds Premium Canadian ,
Wathen's Single Barrel Bourbon,
Muirheads Silver Seal 8 yo,
Muirheads Silver Seal 12 yo, (Best in Class 2011 International Wine and Spirits Competition)
amuse bouche : potato pillows with caviar
first course : spinach salad with warm pancetta vinaigrette, sieved farm egg
second course : seared day boat scallops, brown butter, parsnips, chive oil
third course : grilled pork tenderloin, truffled root vegetable puree, sherry port reduction
dessert : coffee creme brulee
And of course the after dinner cigar smoke. (Cigars not included)
• Thursday, March 29, 1:30pm : Anchor Brewery and Distillery Tour and Tasting: For WoW week we have arranged a special tour of the Anchor Brewery. Special just for us, we will get to peek at the Distillery, along with some nosing and tasting. Home to Old Potrero and Junipero Gin to name a couple of the spirits crafted there. (send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot)
• Thursday, March 29, 6:00pm : City Club SF Dinner: Isle of Arran (Euan Mitchell), Kilchoman (Anthony Wills) Our popular Thursday night dinner will bring two fantastic Whisky innovators and flights of whisky that are not readily available at your normal whisky shop. http://whiskeysoftheworld.eventbrite.com (email me with subject "City Club Discount" email@example.com me for the WoW $30 discount code)
• Friday, March 30, 6:30pm: Dram Club Party: Fisherman’s Wharf Elegant Speakeasy. For our Dram Club members we have the much anticipated Dram Club Party. A relaxed atmosphere to mingle with Brand Ambassadors and sample some great whiskies from Masterson's Rye, Prichard's Distillery, Four Roses, Wild Geese Irish Soldiers & Heroes, Douglas Laing, Glenmorangie, Ardbeg ... (Registration: Must be a Dram Club Members)
• Saturday March 31, 9:00pm: After Party at The Cigar Bar & Grill: For those who were responsible nosers and tasters, we expect it to be all of you, we have arranged an after party where you can relax and swallow a few sips. No cover for 1st 100 with WoW wristbands. Drinks and Cigar Specials. (send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. A reservation is not required. We just want to estimate how many to plan for.)
Our courtesy block of rooms are almost gone. Once the rooms are gone, that’s it. So don’t wait. Reservations must be made by March 14 to get the special rate. The Hilton Financial District Hotel, which is located just a few blocks away from the Hornblower's Pier 3, and is close to major downtown tourist destinations. WoW participants will receive an exclusive rate of $139per night+ tax, which is valid for the night of the Expo, and the two adjacent nights. We also negotiated $30 Overnight Self Parking for WoW attendees. (If you know SF, you know this is a 33% discount.)
Book online http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/personalized/S/SFOFDHF-WHIS-20120328/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG
Or call the hotel directly at 800-445-8667 and mention the code WHIS.
Please note that the supply of discounted rooms is limited.
750 Kearny St.
San Francisco, CA 94108